Print
RSSFacebook

Go To Search
Click to Home

Water Department
About the Water Department
The City of Buda Water Department is currently made up of three water operators and three technicians. The department has been delivering a reliable supply of drinking water to its customers since 1954 and takes pride in providing a safe and reliable supply of water for the citizens of Buda.

Other activities the Water Department is responsible for include:


  • Curb stop repair
  • Fire hydrant installation and maintenance
  • Hydrant flushing
  • Installing new water mains
  • Installing new water services
  • Meter reading
  • Repair of existing water services
  • Water main and valve repair

  • Reporting Issues
    Contact the Water Department at (512) 312-2876 for the following issues:

    • Low or high water pressure
    • Missing or broken meter box lids
    • Water leaks


    For after hours emergencies, please call (512) 801-3199. 

    Our Water Distribution System
    The water distribution system includes approximately 33.93 miles of water main. Our smallest diameter water main is two inches, and our largest is 16 inches. We repair on average thirty water leaks per year. Most existing water main is four, six, and eight inches in diameter and lies beneath street paving. Most of the older water main is between the back of curb and the sidewalk.

    The Buda Water Department does not own or maintain water service lines to individual buildings. Service lines are the entire length of pipe from the meter (connection) on the water main all the way up to the building. Service lines are owned and maintained by the property owner. The city does, however, own and maintain the larger water mains that serve entire neighborhoods. We also own and maintain the water meter assigned to each building. In addition, adequate pressure and volume must be maintained for fire protection purposes.


    Treatment Responsibilities

    The treatment responsibilities include the operation and maintenance of four wells, booster pump stations, three elevated tanks, two stand pipe tanks and four ground storage tanks with a total holding capacity of 3.1 million gallons. The city also has G.B.R.A. as an alternate source of water. Currently 40% of our water supply is provided by G.B.R.A. water which is piped in from Canyon Lake. The remaining 60% is pumped from the Edwards Aquifer. We are also regulated by Barton Springs Edwards Aquifer on the monthly amount of water the city can pump as well as T.C.E.Q. for bacteriological testing.

    The water treatment process begins the minute the water is drawn from the wells. It is injected with chlorine gas and placed into storage tanks where the chlorine begins the process of disinfection. This kills disease causing organisms. The chlorine ensures the microbiological safety of the water. The finished water is then pumped directly to three elevated towers. The towers provide hydraulic pressure throughout the distribution system.